WAYNE MARTIN WHALEN, D.C.
Doctor of Chiropractic
Fellow, International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology
Fellow, International College of Chiropractors
Qualified Medical Examiner, California Division of Workers Compensation
9570 Cuyamaca Street , Suite 101 Santee CA 92071
(619) 368-1145 (Cell) (619) 258-1144 (Office)
Web Site: www.DrWhalen.com
Clinic Director/Owner, Whalen Chiropractic, Santee CA, 1988-Present.
California License to Practice Chiropractic (18999) 1988- present.
Hawaii Chiropractic License (DC712) 1995 (inactive)
Fellow, International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology, May 2008- present.
Diplomate, American Chiropractic Academy of Neurology, 1993.
Qualified Medical Examiner, Department of Industrial Relations, State of California 1997-present.
Certified in Manipulation under Anesthesia, Southern Calif. University of Health Sciences, 2003.
Industrial Disability Evaluator, California Chiropractic Foundation, 1997
Diplomate, National Board of Chiropractic Examiners 1986
Certified Radiology Supervisor,1988-2017.
Registered Nurse License, California (Expired).
Doctor of Chiropractic, Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, Sunnyvale, CA
Bachelor of Science, Nursing, San Diego State University, 1978
Diplomate Program, Chiropractic Neurology, Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, 1990-93.
Board Certification, American Chiropractic Academy of Neurology (DACAN) 1993.
Diplomate Program, Chiropractic Rehabilitation, LACC, 1994-95.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMITTEE POSITIONS
Executive Committee, Education Committee, California Society of Industrial
Medicine and Surgery
Emeritus Chair, Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters, now Clinical Compass,
Appointed Expert Consultant, California Board of Chiropractic Examiners, June 2008-
Workers Compensation Research Institute (WCRI) California Compscope ™ Advisory
Workers Compensation Committee Chair, California Chiropractic Association, 1999-2020. Current committee member.
Peer Reviewer, Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 2016-present.
Chair, Council on Chiropractic Guidelines and Practice Parameters (CCGPP), 2005-2007.
President, California Chiropractic Association, 1999- 2000.
President, San Diego County Chiropractic Society 1993-94.
California Chiropractic Association, 1983- present.
American Chiropractic Association, 1983- present.
California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery, 2002-2010, 2021-present.
American Chiropractic Academy of Neurology 1993-2008.
International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology- Fellow, 2008-present.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Charles and Betty Adams Lifetime Achievement Award
, California Chiropractic Association (CCA)
Thomas Truax Award for Governmental Affairs/Political Action , CCA, June 2016.
Fellow, International College of Chiropractors , October 2008.
President’s Award , California Chiropractic Association, 2002 & 2008.
Doctor of the Year , California Chiropractic Association, June 2003.
Distinguished Service Award , California Chiropractic Association, June 1999.
Thomas Truax Award , San Diego Chiropractic Society & CCA, June 1998.
Doctor of the Year , San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1994.
President's Award , San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1992 & 1993.
Robert B. Botterman Award for Community Service , CCA & San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1991.
New Doctor of the Year , CCA & San Diego Chiropractic Society, 1990.
Student of the Year , California Chiropractic Association,1985.
Student of the Year , Palmer College of Chiropractic -West, 1985
1. Hawk C, Amorin-Woods L, Marion W. Evans MW, M. Whedon JM, Daniels CJ, Williams RD, Parkin-Smith G, Taylor DN, Anderson D, Farabaugh RJ, Walters SA, Schielke A, Minkalis AL, . Crivelli LS, Alpers C, Hinkeldey N, Hoang J, Caraway D, Whalen WM, Cook J, Redwood DJ. The Role of Chiropractic Care in Providing Health Promotion and Clinical Preventive Services for Adult Patients with Musculoskeletal Pain: A Clinical Practice Guideline. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Published Online:26 Jul 2021 https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2021.0184.
2. Askew J, Kranz K, Whalen W, Federal Employees’ Compensation Act and Mandating the Use of X-ray for Chiropractic Management of Federal Employees: An Exploration of Concerns and a Call to Action, Journal of Chiropractic Humanities, Volume 27, 2020.
3. Hawk C, Whalen W, Farabaugh RJ, Daniels CJ, Minkalis AL, Taylor DN, Anderson D, Anderson K, Crivelli LS, Cark M, Barlow E, Paris D, Sarnat R, Weeks J. Best practices for chiropractic management of patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain: a clinical practice guideline. J Altern Complementary Med 2020.
4. Whalen WM, Farabaugh RF, Hawk C, et al. Best Practice Recommendations for Chiropractic Management of Neck Pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther, Dec 2019.
5. Globe GA,. Farabaugh RF, , Hawk C,. Morris C, Baker G,. Whalen WM, Walters K, Kaeser M, Dehen, MD and Augat, T. Clinical Practice Guideline: Chiropractic Care for Low Back Pain, J Manipulative Physiol Ther, Jan 2016; 39:1.
6. Dehen, MD, Whalen WM, Farabaugh RJ, Hawk C. Consensus Terminology for Stages of Care: Acute, Chronic, Recurrent and Wellness. J Manipulative Physiol Ther Jul/Aug 2010; 33:458-63.
7. Globe GA, Morris CE, Whalen WM, Farabaugh RJ, Hawk C. Chiropractic management of low back disorders: report from a consensus process. J Manipulative Physiol Ther Nov/Dec 2008; 31:651-58.
8. Whalen WM, Resolution of Cervical Radiculopathy in a Woman after Chiropractic Manipulation. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine 2008; 7, 17-23.
9. Whalen, WM, Chiropractic in the Workers Compensation System, J of Workers Compensation, Vol 16 No 3, Spring 2007.
10. Whalen W.M., Lewis, E.A., Chiropractic Best Practices: Not Fear, Just Facts. The American Chiropractor. August 2006.
11. Whalen,W.M., A Moment of Mercy and a Clinical Compass. Dynamic Chiropractic, December 17, 2005, Volume 23, Issue 26.
12. Whalen, W.M., Calif. D.C’s Face Workers’ Compensation Dilemma. Dynamic Chiropractic, June 2, 2003, Volume 21, Issue 12.
13. Whalen,W.M., The Chiropractic Care Alternative, Invited San Diego Union-Tribune Editorial, March 31, 2005.
Whalen Chiropractic, Santee, CA, 1988-present
Medical Director, Advanced Medicine Integration Group, Highland Park Il. March 2020-July 2021.
The Chiropractic Business University, President and Founder, 2008-2020.
Staff Chiropractor, Personal Physicians, El Cajon, CA, 1997-2000.
Staff RN, Emergency Services, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, 1987-88
Staff RN, Emergency/Trauma Department, Stanford University Hospital, CA, 1983-87
Flight Nurse, Life Flight, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, 1981-83
Staff RN, Emergency/Trauma, various San Diego Hospitals, 1978-81
PROFESSIONAL LECTURES/ INVITED PRESENTATIONS
QME recertification 6 hour course, CCA Convention, November 13, 2021, Napa.
CSIMS Annual Conference, various topics, San Diego October 21-23 2021, San Diego.
TBI Med-legal Conference, Chiropractic Management of a PI Case, September 2021. San Diego.
CSIMS Annual Conference, Initial Reports: Do’s and Don’ts. Online Mar 26, 2021.
CSIMS Annual Conference, Common Injuries and How to Get Authorization, Online Oct 22, 2020.
CalChiro Annual Convention, Best Practices Guidelines, Oct 17, 2020.
Module I, Cal Chiro Personal Injury Certification Course, Evaluation, Diagnosis, Treatment,
Documentation and Prognosis. May & July 2019. Los Angeles and Oakland.
QME recertification 6 hour course, CCA. Nov 2019, Napa.
QME recertification 6 hour course, CCA Convention 2015, 2016, 2017, 2108. San Diego.
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, Evidence Based Care;, April 21, 2011. San Jose.
California Applicants Attorney Association, , “Almaraz-Guzman”; April 22, 2011. San Diego.
Palmer College of Chiropractic-West, Practice Management; 2012- 2014. San Jose.
California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery, Disability report writing, 2014.
Recent Developments in the Treatment and Evaluation of Neuromusculoskeletal Injuries,
panel faculty; California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery, June 17, 2010. San Diego.
Division of Workers Compensation, State of California QME continuing education provider 2009-present.
Patient Pain Diagnosis and Treatment: neurology made simple, CCA Convention, Feb 2008 with Julian Vickers DC. Reno NV.
QME recertification 6 hour course, CCA Convention, February 2007, 2008. Reno NV.
Chiropractic Care: Utilization Review, Best Practices, Treatment Guidelines or Caps: You Decide; CCA Winter Convention, February 2007, Reno.
Presentation regarding CCGPP Best Practices document: , 2005-6. NE, WA, CA, CO.
Cedars Sinai Medical Group, Basic Work Comp course, August 22, 2006. Los Angeles.
Panelist, Discussion on California Reforms, Workers’ Compensation Research Institute, November
2006. Boston, MA.
EXPERT WITNESS EXPERIENCE:
Qualified as a chiropractic expert in multiple State and Federal civil, worker’s compensation, administrative, criminal and malpractice courts including plaintiff and defense cases.